Saturday, April 17, 2010

Granola...

I've always liked granola, well mostly.  I have had bad granola, dry, tasteless, not sweet enough.  One day I had an inspired idea to learn how to make my own granola.  I knew that it was customizable and I would be able to make it my own.  Isn't that what all chefs want to do, make recipes their own?

One way I research recipes is I look up several similar recipes on the internet, taking from each facets of what I like most and disregarding the rest.  I then take all the individual parts and come up with my own recipe.  That's what I did with my granola, my Vanilla Almond Granola. 

Most recipes I researched called for varying combinations of white sugar, brown sugar, vegetable or canola oil, flax seed, honey, dried fruits, nuts and, of course, oats.  I took from this list the ingredients I like, in the proportions I thought were appropriate for my tastes.  The first couple of times I made the granola I carefully measured everything.  I didn't want it too sweet or not sweet enough and most of all I wanted it to taste good.  What I came away with was a very flavorful, hearty and somewhat healthy granola. 

Eat it straight for a snack.  Add raisins and milk for a great cereal.  My favorite way to eat this granola is with vanilla yogurt for breakfast.  It can be stored for about a month in an airtight container.  I'm guessing it will last about a month because it never lasts that long in my house!

I can tell you what's in mine but the proportions and other add-ins will have to be all your own.

Oats
Brown Sugar
Flax Seed
Vegetable Oil
Slivered Almonds
Sliced Almonds
Vanilla
Cinnamon

Mix your choice of ingredients with the exception of dried fruits (add them after the granola has cooled), place it in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with a non stick spray, lined with parchment paper or use a Silpat for easy clean up.  Bake on 325 for about 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and stir.  Continue this pattern until the granola has reached the desired shade of GBD...What is GBD, you ask?  Golden, Brown and Delicious!  I'll use this term a lot when describing baked goods!








1 comment: