Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Creamy Lemon Pie

When I worked for Bankers Trust (the BEST job in the world...no kidding) we had a full cafeteria in the building.  A couple times a week they would make these lemon pies.  They were creamy, not too sweet, not too tart with a dollop of whipped cream on top.  The first few times we (my friend Andrea) had this pie we quickly found out we weren't the only ones who liked it.  Sometimes if we went to lunch later than usual the lemon pie would be gone...oh the horror!  Thus we learned to go to the cafeteria right when they started serving lunch and buy two pieces...one for breakfast and one for after lunch.  Yep, it was just that good.

Of course I asked the baker for the recipe and believe it or not, he gave it to me.  Surprisingly simple, I've never written it down but I've remembered it since.  I'll share the recipe with you and if you make this pie, please leave a comment letting me know how much you like or don't like it, however, I'm certain you'll like it.  Trust me.

Creamy Lemon Pie

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best but not totally necessary)
3 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
1 store-bought graham cracker crust
Whipped cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, egg yolks and salt until well combined.  Pour into pie shell and bake for 20 minutes.  Check the pie at this point and gauge how much time it needs between 5 and 10 minutes.  The pie should be slightly soft when you take it out.  Let it cool completely on a wire rack.  Cover the cooled pie with whipped cream if desired.

I used a store-bought graham cracker crust and whipped cream.  Now, if you know me you know I don't do a lot of pre-made foods.  I really prefer to make any and everything I can from scratch with very few exceptions, very few.  The graham cracker crust is one exception.  The ones in the store are almost just as good as homemade an a ton easier.  Now, the whipped cream.   Making whipped cream is a breeze.  Heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and a mixer...voila, whipped cream.  I could go on about all the add-ins you could use but I won't, not yet.  Since I made the pie for Sunday dinner's dessert I just bought it.  I shouldn't have.  It wasn't sweet enough and it had a 'funny' consistancy.  But hey, I know better for next time.












No comments:

Post a Comment