Sunday, January 30, 2011

I'm FINALLY happy with a recipe!

I have experimented with several yeast roll recipes over the years.  I've tried some made with all water, some made with all milk, a combination of milk and water, some made with and without butter.  I've been moderately happy with the results but never really completely satisfied.  I wasn't getting that 'mouth feel', crumb and taste I was looking for...you know what I'm talking about...the little old lady from down the street/from church/on of Mom's friend/Ms. So and So who would bake yeast rolls to die for...I never could duplicate exactly what I've been looking for until now. 

I frequently follow the Baker's Blog on the King Arthur Flour Blog. I've made a few of the recipes with really good results.  A couple of weeks ago they posted a Parker House roll recipe.  Now since I was still on the hunt (not actively or officially) for a good yeast roll recipe I decided to try it.  The ingredients were all things I keep on hand and the process was incredibly simple.  So, I thought, why not try it?

I have to add this recipe has been adapted from the Parker House roll recipe on the King Arthur flour site.  I say adapted because the first time I made the rolls I used their recipe verbatim but after that I've used my own changes and I like the changes.  I really do.  I'll give you the original recipe with my changes in parentheses.  If you make these rolls with the changes, please come back and comment letting me know how they turned out for you.

Parker House Rolls - Adapted from King Arthur Flour
1 cup of milk
1 egg

Mix and egg together.  Heat gently in the microwave just to take the chill off.  I actually heated the egg/milk mixture to about 105 degrees since we are adding it to yeast.  Don't go much hotter than that or you could kill the yeast.



In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook add:

3 cups King Arthur flour
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (1 1/2 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons sugar (1/2 cup)
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup potato flour or 3/4 cup instant  mashed potato flakes
3 tablespoons butter - straight from the refrigerator is fine (6 tablespoons)




Add milk/egg mixture




Stir the ingredients together into a shaggy, cohesive mass.





Knead for about 8 minutes.  I use level 2 on my Kitchen Aid mixer and I also set the timer for 8 minutes so I won't forget.  After 8 minutes the dough should come together in a smooth ball.




While my dough was kneading I preheated my oven to 200 degrees then turned it off.  I do this because it is winter and my house isn't exactly warm.  By the time I'm ready to add the dough to rise the oven is at the perfect temperature.

Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and let it rise in a warm place for approximately 90 minutes.  Yep, I set the timer for this too.



Although I increased the yeast to compensate for the additional sugar and butter I added, the dough still won't double in bulk.  That's ok.  It will rise a good bit though.



At this point I punch the dough down and divide it in half with a bench knife/scraper.



As I work with one half, I leave the other half covered under the bowl I just took it out of.

This is where I really differ from the King Arthur site.  The shaping of the rolls.  They divide the dough like I did then rolled it out, brushed butter on it then cut it in half.  They then folded each half in half and cut each of the halves into four relatively equal pieces.  This method is fine if you want larger rolls but in my 'bread devouring' family a total of 16 rolls, no matter how large, just would not be enough! 

What I did was roll each half of the dough out pretty thin, cut it into strips then the strips in four pieces.  Each piece I thin folded over twice.




I then placed the folded rolls on a buttered, rimmed sheet pan.



After rolling out and folding both halves of the dough I covered the pan with a tea towel and placed the pan back into the now cooler oven to allow the rolls to rise again for 45 minutes.

At the 30 minute mark I take the pan out of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  If the rolls have popped open a little just gently press them down a bit or tuck the bottom fold under to secure it.

Bake the rolls for 15-22 minutes or until they are GBD (GoldenBrownDelicious) and feel set.








Brush (or slather, your choice) the tops with butter as soon as they come out of the oven.  Enjoy!

I have  reheated the rolls wrapped in foil and heated for about 10 minutes for a freshly baked taste!

Sister Schubert?  Nope.  She's good and all but Sis can't touch these!



No comments:

Post a Comment